Delicious pork carnitas stuffed inside gluten-free tortillas, with toppings of your choice; coleslaw, tomatoes, onions, cheese, sour cream, cilantro, avocados or Pico de Gallo.
It is always a good day when “I hear the mountains calling… and I must go!” After having had snow last week, it has been nice to have the 50 degree weather the last couple of days! Most of the snow (8″) in my yard, has melted and it was a beautiful day to go for a drive. It has always been one of my favorite past times ever since I can remember. How lucky am I? I have the Rocky Mountains as my playground… right in my own backyard.
It was also a good day for Carnitas… some pork that had been cooking in a slow cooker simmered in its own juices and wonderful spices! After shredding the pork, I love to get it nice and crispy by sauteing it in a pan with some ghee, before I slide it into the tortilla and dress it up!
It only takes a few minutes to make this shredded pork into a fabulous meal! You can serve up the Carnitas on corn tortillas or, my choice, by cooking up some fabulous gluten free tortillas. Besides the healthy ingredients that go into these tortillas, I find they are tastier than a regular flour or corn tortilla. They are easy to make, and I use them in many recipes; breakfast tacos, mini pizzas and even like a pita chip for snacks.
Enjoy this simple and delicious dish!
- Serves: 10 servings
- Serving size: 1 cup
- Calories: 220
- Fat: 16
- Saturated fat: 6
- Unsaturated fat: 3
- Trans fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 4
- Sugar: 1
- Sodium: 499
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 19
- Cholesterol: 40
- 2 pounds boneless pork loin
- Himalayan sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup ground cumin
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ jalapeno, seeded and ribs removed, chopped
- 2 tbsps.coconut sugar
- 1 cup water
- 3 tbsps. ghee
- ½ onion, chopped
- 2 cups organic or homemade coleslaw
- Rinse and dry the pork shoulder.
- Salt and pepper liberally.
- Place the pork in a slow cooker and top with the cumin, garlic, jalapeno and coconut sugar. Add 1 cup water to the bottom of the cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or on high 4 hours.
- Once the pork is tender, remove from slow cooker and let cool slightly before pulling apart with a fork.
- In a large saute pan, heat the ghee over medium heat. Add onions and carnitas and fry until crispy. Add cilantro. Mix together.
- Serve in tortilla topped with coleslaw or tomatoes, avocados and Pico de Gallo.
Have plenty of toppings available if you are going to have a taco bar! Chopped onions, cilantro, tomatoes, avocado slices, sour cream, shredded cheese, lettuce, coleslaw, salsa or Pico de Gallo!
- Serves: 6
- Serving size: 1
- Calories: 146
- Fat: 8
- Saturated fat: 4
- Unsaturated fat: 0
- Trans fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 16
- Sugar: 0
- Sodium: 195
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 3
- Cholesterol: 62
- 2 Eggs, whisked
- 1¼ cup Almond milk
- 3 tbsp. Coconut flour
- ¼ tsp. Himalayan sea salt
- ¾ cup Tapioca flour
- 2 tbsp. Ghee
- Add all ingredients to medium mixing bowl and whisk until fully combined.
- Heat 9 " pan on medium to medium-low heat. Add 1 tbsp. ghee.
- Pour 1 soup ladle ( about ½ cup) of batter into center of pan to form about a 6" circle (I use the ladle because it is easy to place the batter in pan and swirl to make circle).
- Cook for 2-3 minutes until tortilla is lightly browned on the bottom.
- Flip and cook about 1 to 2 minutes on the opposite side until browned. Cook longer if you want it crispier.
- Place tortillas on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Makes about 6 tortillas about 6-inches in diameter.